Marketing Communications Audit
Communication is at the very heart of effective marketing. And managing how we communicate to each of our audiences is critical for success.
While internal and external audiences will vary significantly between organizations, most organizations’ audiences fall into seven broad categories:
- customers (or members, or supporters)
- partners and distributors
- parent organizations and governing bodies
- overseers and regulators (including the Government)
- competitors, and
- the general public (including the press)
An effective communications audit incorporates analysis of communications to all relevant audiences.
A Different Approach
Many consulting companies begin their communications audits by analyzing the “look and feel” of your messaging vehicles and recommending that more attention (and lots more money) be spent on consistency. And while consistent branding is an important part of communications, merely standardizing appearance will not increase revenues.
Our communications audits are based on efficacy, not appearance. We believe in asking the tough questions:
- Are your messages achieving the results you intended?
- Are your messages targeted appropriately to your audiences?
- Have you chosen the best communications vehicles?
- Is your messaging succinct and hard-hitting enough to cut through the clutter?
- Are you maintaining a consistent and relevant communications platform?
- Are internal messages spilling into external audiences?
We believe an effective communications plan is both integrated and tactically sound. We help clients develop clear message platforms and articulate them effectively to each target market. We help organizations develop messages that succinctly deliver their benefits and advance their brand. We map messages to target markets. And we incorporate metrics into our communications plans whenever they are meaningful.